The Trash Hero mission is to bring communities together to clean and reduce waste. We do this through:
- Action and Awareness. We pick up trash. Whether a cigarette butt on the sand, or 2000 km from a beach – if we see it, we clean it! And we motivate others to do the same. By spending a few hours together picking up trash, people gain a profound understanding of the consequences of being careless about waste.
- Education. We actively engage children through our multilingual kids’ programme, connecting environmental values with hands-on experience of the impact that trash has on the local and global environment. Adults also learn experientially, backed up with information and workshops provided by our volunteers.
- Sustainable Projects. We create long-term programmes that help communities to reduce and better manage existing waste, and strategies that will prevent future waste.
- Inspiration. We motivate people to become Trash Heroes in their everyday lives. With consistently positive messaging, and a philosophy of “small steps”, we remove the barriers to change. Participants have gone on to make their own heroic cleanups around the world.
We abide by the following principles:
- Be positive: we focus on solutions (not problems), the future (not the past) and on what is going well (not what is wrong or who is to blame).
- Be inclusive and neutral: we work independently, bringing communities together for one mission that benefits all.
- Show, don’t tell. Repeat: we lead by example, taking small easy steps which, when multiplied, can result in great change. With regular actions, the change becomes lasting.
- Think global, act local: our local chapters are the life-force of our movement. Trash Hero World provides training, support and materials but all activities are community-driven.
- Be transparent: our local chapters don’t take or make money through their activities. All programmes are run by volunteers and costs are covered by donations in kind (goods and services) from local sponsors, and any products are sold at cost, with publicly available receipts.
These principles are enshrined in our code of conduct, which every member of the global Trash Hero family pledges to follow.
Trash Hero believes that every one of us can be a Trash Hero.
Read more about our projects, and join our global movement today.